There was recently some discussion about Terrace among some friends on Facebook. In the past I’ve done some versions of that game, the oldest one is probably from 1996 or so and was my first real application done with Qt. Time flies. More recently I made a version with Cocos2D but never released that one either. This time I did it with Unity3D and the result can be seen on this page. It’s nothing special but should more or less work ok. It features one player local play against an AI player that just picks a random valid move as well as a local two player game.
I didn’t really bother too much with the visuals, the point was not to make a beautiful game. The models are basic things hacked up with Cheetah3D. No audio at all. 🙂
Finally updated two of my applications yesterday and submitted new versions to the App Store. I’ve been thinking to do this for a long time. One of the apps has had a small bug that has annoyed me when I use it and the other had an easy feature that I’ve wanted to add for a long time.
The first app is Project Hours which I use for all my real work. It’s for keeping track of projects and how many hours you’ve worked on them. It’s been in my more or less daily use for over a year now and has helped me to actually get paid for things I’ve done. If I don’t keep track of what I do I tend to bill for way fewer hours than I actually have been working. For this version I did a minor iOS7 conversion and fixed a few bugs.
The other application is Finnish Trains which I did mostly for the fun of it. It shows all the Finnish passenger trains on a map and allows you to easily see where they are and how much they are delayed. For this version I added showing of VR’s traffic bulletins that are used when something has happened somewhere.
All audio for Imperium has been done by Forte Sounds. I’ve been very happy with the quality of the work and it’s been fun to discuss sound effects, music and whatnot. Now it seems I more or less have all the effects and music I need for the game as I some days ago received a last batch of sound effects for the new weapons I recently added. I had to make a small video that shows the machine gun sound effects:
I also received flamethrower effects but did not get them into this video. Needless to say they are awesome too.
After this there is not too much to do on the audio side anymore. I may convert some effects to mono and possibly down sample them a bit, but only if needed. Currently a bit too many effects can be playing at the same time, especially if many units fire at the same time. In that case it’s enough to only play one firing effect, not the same effect many times. As I worked with my own audio effects for quite some time it’s really great to now have real professional stuff included. When I uses my own effects (downloaded from free archives) I usually turned all sounds off when testing, but now I keep the sound on all the time and even crank the volume a bit. 🙂
Took the plunge and purchased Tower (http://www.git-tower.com/) for OSX today. It’s a quite nice Git client that seems to be stable and do what it’s supposed to do. It could be a bit more user friendly, as you really need to know a lot about Git to use some features. But anything that makes it harder for me to lose real code in some stash or branch is a welcome bonus. 🙂 Git does make it easy to handle branches, but I always manage to mess up somehow and end up with something not pushed to the remote repositories and Tower makes that process a great deal more visual and easy to manage.
The multiplayer code for Imperium has progressed a bit since the last update. It is now possible to more or less completely set up multiplayer games on two iPads. There is a surprising amount of things to get right when two devices are talking to each other, but it seems to be working now. The player that hosts the game will select a size for the battle and after that the Bonjour service is set up and the game is announced on the local wifi. At this point the other player can connect to the hosted game and both player will be presented with this screen where they can purchase their units:
The first organization in the unit list are regiments that contain a headquarter and some subordinate units. Buying organizations is cheaper than buying individual companies or artillery batteries. Once the player is satisfied with the purchased units it’s time to deploy the units on the map. This is also done simultaneously by both players. Initially the units are simply laid out on the map in nice rows, like this:
The player can now select units, tap on a location and move the unit to the location or make it face the tapped location. The red line indicates how far to the east the units can be deployed. The other player has a similar line which indicates how far to the west his/her units can be deployed.
What is still missing here is a button to complete the deployment and start the real game. At that point both players need to synchronize so that both start at the same time, which means that one of the players needs to wait for the other to complete purchasing and deploying his/her units.